Monthly Archives: October 2005

Please donate to earthquake relief

Please help support the relief efforts in northern Pakistan and Kashmir. The earthquake there has left between 25,000 and 30,000 dead, about 40,000 more injured, and millions homeless.

Please consider donating money to the American Red Cross fund for earthquake relief or another relief organization closer to where funds are needed.

Posted in Development | Leave a comment

If you’ve seen one, you’ve seen the mall

One hundred years ago the clearest way to identify the existance of a sizable middle class was via amusement parks. Today it’s the shopping mall — and they’re growing like crazy in India.

True, “organised retail industry accounts for just 3% of the country’s total retail sales,” leaving 97% of business as Mom & Pop establishments. Unlike the U.S., Indians don’t seem very brand-conscious yet; though in the holiday spot of Shimla and the shopping mall in Madras there was much more of it. The lack of brands can really, really throw an American for a loop.

Posted in Development | Leave a comment

Camera Clubs versus “Fine Art”

Marshall decided to rabble-rouse a little on the NCC discussion forum, posting a link to an ethnographic examination of camera clubs and how their dominant styles differ from “fine art.”

Posted in Photography | Leave a comment