It’s Thursday, day four of Diabetes Blog Week. Today we vent.
Ten Eleven things I hate about diabetes:
- Carrying extra crap. Because I got the ‘betes, I don’t get to travel light. And I don’t get to wear running shorts without pockets, because I gotta have place on the long runs for the pump, glucose tablets, meter, and energy gels.
- Being woken up in the middle of the night (more than
oncethrice) because my BG is high, I’m going low, or my pump is lonely and will not be ignored.
- Not being 100% confident that I’ll get the chance to let my BAMFness express itself fully when I’m racing.
- That tiny, hissing, malevolent voice in the back of my head that says every choice has a downside and that I might not be making the best choices to bring my A1c down or to hold off complications.
- Spending money on test strips, insulin, glucose tablets, copays, and so on.
- Orange glucose tablets.
- Not being able to eat something delicious when I’m hungry because my BG is high.
- The concern that I cause I other people.
- Not being free to exercise anytime I want.
- How difficult it is to figure out anything that involves more than one variable (such as balancing nutrition, active insulin, and exercise).
But since I don’t really like focusing on the negatives, let’s balance this post out by listing
ten eleven of my favorite films:
- Dr. Strangelove
- In The Mood for Love
- Joint Security Area
- Lady Vengeance
- Lilo and Stitch
- O Brother, Where Art Thou?
- Sling Blade
- Some Like It Hot