This “48 Questions” thing is making the rounds. I saw it over at Scully’s place and thought I’d get in on the action. Because I just wanted to copy and paste and do this over my lunch hour, I left all of the cute Canadian spellings and KANYE-STYLE ALL CAPS in place.
Away we go!
1. WERE YOU NAMED AFTER ANYONE?
Yes. I was named after one of the 12 apostles. (My brother was merely named after a saint, but his guy would have totally been an apostle if he hadn’t been martyred too soon. All that’s moot, though, since my evangelic father thought sainthood was heretical.) My mom liked my middle name better, so they officially changed my name when I was very young.
2. WHEN WAS THE LAST TIME YOU CRIED?
After the Sandyhook school shooting, I think.
3. DO YOU LIKE YOUR HANDWRITING?
When I try to write nicely I do, but not most of the time. My Greek is very pretty.
4. WHAT IS YOUR FAVOURITE LUNCH MEAT?
5. DO YOU HAVE KIDS?
I have a cat…
6. IF YOU WERE ANOTHER PERSON, WOULD YOU BE FRIENDS WITH YOU?
I dunno. That Jeff Mather fellow doesn’t make friends easily.
7. DO YOU USE SARCASM A LOT?
Pfft. No. Never. Seriously.
8. DO YOU STILL HAVE YOUR TONSILS?
Yes . . . dammit.
9. WOULD YOU BUNGEE JUMP?
Yes, but only from a bridge . . . in Africa . . . over Victoria Falls.
10. WHAT IS YOUR FAVOURITE CEREAL?
Kellogg’s Fiber+Antioxidants Berry Yogurt Crunch.
11. DO YOU UNTIE YOUR SHOES WHEN YOU TAKE THEM OFF?
Yes, almost always.
12. DO YOU THINK YOU ARE STRONG?
Yes. Not super strong, but strong enough.
13. WHAT IS YOUR FAVOURITE ICE CREAM?
J.P. Licks makes a fantastic cranberry white chocolate cheesecake ice cream flavor every December. I would
kill unintentionally wound for some right now.
14. WHAT IS THE FIRST THING YOU NOTICE ABOUT PEOPLE?
Whether they seem happy.
15. RED OR PINK?
16. WHAT IS THE LEAST FAVOURITE THING ABOUT YOURSELF?
17. WHO DO YOU MISS THE MOST?
Lisa, when she’s not around, and my mom the rest of the time. Also my DBFF and my favorite coworker who moved to California a year ago.
18. WHAT IS THE TECHNIQUE THAT YOU NEED TO WORK ON THE MOST?
Getting shit done.
19. WHAT COLOUR SHOES ARE YOU WEARING?
20. WHAT WAS THE LAST THING YOU ATE?
A pastrami sandwich, Greek yoghurt, and a Jazz apple. (75 carbs)
21. WHAT ARE YOU LISTENING TO RIGHT NOW?
A (recorded) live set of three songs by Bomba Estéreo: “Feelin,’” “Huepajé,” and “Juana.”
22. IF YOU WERE A CRAYON, WHAT COLOUR WOULD YOU BE?
23. FAVOURITE SMELLS?
The Ashland Reservoir.
24. HOW IMPORTANT ARE YOUR POLITICAL VIEWS TO YOU?
They’re an integral part of who I am. I don’t like imposing them on other people, but I hate it when people try to marginalize or dismiss them.
25. MOUNTAIN HIDEAWAY OR BEACH HOUSE?
Beach house, probably, but I like that Cairns in Australia had both.
26. FAVOURITE SPORTS TO WATCH?
Cycling, triathlon, track and field, road running, swimming, ice hockey, and . . . cycling. Did I mention cycling?
27. HAIR COLOUR?
Brown with red and grey highlights.
28. EYE COLOUR?
One is blue; the other is hazel.
29. DO YOU WEAR CONTACTS?
Not since third grade.
30. FAVOURITE FOOD?
Cheesecake or Comte cheese.
31. SCARY MOVIES OR HAPPY ENDINGS?
None of the above. Give me a non-scary movie with a complicated ending.
32. LAST MOVIE YOU WATCHED?
In the theatre: “Zero Dark Thirty,” which I think would make a really good book. At home: the original version of “Red Dawn,” which probably sucked in 1984, too.
33. WHAT COLOUR SHIRT ARE YOU WEARING?
Beige shirt, red argyle sweater.
34. SUMMER OR WINTER?
Summer, for sure. Long days, warm temperatures, snow-free roads, 6-hour bike rides . . . what’s not to love?
35. FAVOURITE DESSERT?
See #13 and #30 above.
36. STRENGTH TRAINING OR CARDIO?
I prefer cardio/endurance workouts, but I love the sense of accomplishment I get after strength-focused interval running or swimming.
37. COMPUTER OR TELEVISION?
Both! I like to maximize my time-wasting potential. See #18 above.
38. WHAT BOOK ARE YOU READING NOW?
Phil Southerland’s Not Dead Yet, which I have subtitled “Fuck you, Lance! This is what a truly inspiring cyclist looks like.” I’m also working my way through The Ultimate French Grammar Review and Practice.
39. WHAT IS ON YOUR MOUSE PAD?
40. FAVOURITE SOUND?
41. FAVOURITE GENRE OF MUSIC?
There’s too much music to pick one kind, so I pick ALL of them (except praise/contemporary Christian).
42. WHAT IS THE FARTHEST YOU HAVE BEEN FROM HOME?
Alice Springs, Australia. You can only get a couple thousand miles farther away from where I live and still be on this Earth.
43. DO YOU HAVE A SPECIAL TALENT?
I’ll let people who are more objective about me answer that question.
44. WHERE WERE YOU BORN?
Des Moines, Iowa
45. WHERE ARE YOU LIVING NOW?
The Commonwealth of Massachusetts
46. WHAT COLOUR IS YOUR HOUSE?
47. WHAT COLOUR IS YOUR CAR?
One car is black. The other is grey. The one I’m driving is the one that’s closer to the street in our driveway.
48. DO YOU LIKE ANSWERING 48 QUESTIONS?
Yes, but why not add a couple more and go for a nice round 50?