Step 4

Step 4: Tolerate lower blood glucose. 120 mg/dL (6.7 mmol/L) isn’t low. 80 (4.4) isn’t low. Context matters, of course: 120 during exercise is time for action, and 80 before bed means it time for a snack. But right now, a lot of these numbers lead me to snack unnecessarily. So stop it. Wait a bit. Use that new CGM (which should arrive any day now) and watch what happens. Stop thinking “low” until I see the 70s (a.k.a., the low 4s). And stop thinking “OK” when I see 180 or higher.

(BTW, this is not what I expected step 4 to be. But I realized when listening to the Juicebox Podcast that other people have a much lower set-point when it comes to blood glucose, and they’re talking about kids. So, really, what’s my problem? It’s all tied into how my BG behaves when I exercise, I’m sure. That’s going to be hard to tease apart, of course, but it’s not a catch-22; any little bit of better is better.)

This entry was posted in Baby Steps, Diabetes, Life Lessons. Bookmark the permalink.

2 Responses to Step 4

  1. Sara says:

    I’m working on this “step” right now. As you can imagine, I am quizzing every T1D rider I see. About 75% of them tell me they like to ride around 160. The other 25% say they like to be between 75-90. I’m not sure I could refuel a 75 fast enough before I would have to take a break to treat (rather than treating on the bike).

  2. Jeff Mather says:

    Yeah, I’m with that 75%. I’ll tolerate a 90 if I’m finishing, but that’s usually where I start doubling up on carbs for about an hour if it happens during an outing.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>